Genesys Customer Authentication (CE07) for Genesys Engage on premises
What's the challenge?Most IVRs require your customers to manually enter their information each time they call. Customers typically have to supply that information again when they’re connected with an agent or transferred — leading to longer handle times, higher purchase abandonment and poor customer experience scores.
What's the solution?Cut out time-consuming identification steps with a simple, automated caller ID. Genesys Customer Authentication integrates with your customer database to identify callers by their phone number. This context is passed across channels — so you can identify, verify and proactively greet customers, without repetition.
Story and Business Context
In most IVR applications, customers call into companies, such as their credit card company, bank, or cable company, and must manually identify themselves. If the call goes to an agent, customers normally need to identify themselves again to the agent. This is frustrating and time consuming for callers. IVR systems can and should contain self-service to identify the customer automatically based on their caller ID, and this information should then be used throughout the call flow for progressive identification and verification (ID&V), passed as context to a visual session or passed to an agent. This makes customers feel that they want to do business with the company, as their identity is proactively recognized and maintained. For example, as soon as the call connects, a data dip should be completed to identify the customer based on their caller ID. The IVR application can then configure logic to greet the caller by name, skip identification for new self-services within the same call, or skip identification or verification if they move to a visual IVR.
Use Case Benefits
|Use Case Benefits||Explanation|
|Improved Net Promoter Score||Passing identification and verification from IVR to the agent improves the customer experience.|
|Reduced Handle Time||Automated identification and verification in the IVR reduces agent handling time.|
|Reduced Volume of Interactions||Automated identification and verification in the IVR allows customers to use self-service processes that reduce agent call volumes.|
The IVR system proactively identifies the caller at the beginning of the call. The IVR then asks the caller to identify themselves by entering information to verify their identity. Depending on the business logic configured in the Control Center, the system routes the caller to self-service in the IVR, a main menu, or an agent. If the customer needs to go through another self-service option, the customer's ID&V status persists. This ID&V status also persists if they transfer to a visual IVR and continue their journey there. Finally, if the caller transfers from the IVR to an agent, the system displays the data captured by the IVR to the agent, providing a better experience for both the caller and agent.
Use Case Definition
Figure 1: Example Business Flow
Business Flow Description
- Call is transferred into the application. This self-service module can be integrated into a broader IVR application that answers the call. At some point the application may decide that Identification and Verification of the customer is required and will initiate the flow of this use case. If ID&V is required then the application initiates the flow of this use case. If the customer has already been identified in a previous channel, transaction or step then it skips this flow. If not it continues to step 3. The broader IVR application is not within the scope of this use case.
- If enabled, Genesys will identify a customer using the Automatic Number Identification (ANI) / Caller Line Identification (CLI).
- If ANI / CLI are available, Genesys performs a lookup in the company's database to identify the caller.
- If identification via ANI / CLI is disabled or fails, Genesys will ask for a separate Identifier (e.g. customer ID, account number, tracking number) to identify the customer. This question must require numeric entry. If the customer does not have the necessary information, Genesys asks the customer to press a specific DTMF tone.
- The customer input is validated against the customer database.
- If no match is found, the customer is asked for their identifier, up to a maximum of three times after failure. The number of retry attempts is configurable.
- If the customer is still not be successfully validated, the customer is forwarded to agent assisted service.
- If a match is found, Genesys asks for additional information validating the caller's identity for security purposes. This question must require numeric entry.
- Progressive ID&V, i.e.: higher levels of authentication based on customer profile information and/or requested transaction, occurs during self-service depending on the type of interaction.
- Progressive ID&V is defined in a separate ID&V module and is not within the scope of this use case. The preceding level of authentication should be configurable by a business user in real time should they wish to re-order authentication questions.
- Genesys looks up and validates the security information entered by the caller within a third party application. If this validation is not successful, the system asks the customer for security information again, up to a maximum of three times after failure.
- If the system cannot successfully validate the customer, the system forwards the customer to agent assisted service.
- Genesys plays a prompt that confirms the validation or informs the customer of the failure.
- A configuration parameter determines where the caller should be routed to next. The possible options are listed below. However, these are outside the scope of the ID&V use case:
- Agent assisted service - the result of the identification and verification will be displayed to the agent making both the customer and agent experience better. This functionality requires implementation of the use case Genesys Personalized Routing (CE02) for Genesys Engage
- Self service IVR such as transfer funds, make a payment.
- Progressive ID&V could occur before self-service depending on the type of interaction. This option would be defined in a separate self-service module outside the scope of this use case.
- IVR main menu for identification of the type of caller request
For more details
For additional details, contact your Genesys Sales Representative by filing out the form or for immediate assistance call us: 1-888-Genesys.