How routing works
Learn how routing ensures that each customer interaction received by your contact center is directed to the appropriate destination.
What Routing does[edit source]
Customers can contact you from a variety of sources, including:
- voice calls
- SMS (text messages)
- social media platforms
Routing is the process by which each of these voice and digital interaction types are directed to their appropriate target destinations.
You can manage how interactions are routed by creating a set of decisions and instructions that specify how an interaction is to be handled when certain conditions are met. For example, you might direct certain customers to an agent who has a particular type of skill, such as a high level of proficiency in the customer's preferred language. If such an agent isn't available, the criteria can then be relaxed to find the next best-skilled available agent, and so on.
How Routing works[edit source]
The technical aspects of routing are handled behind-the-scenes by the Genesys Multicloud CX platform. However, there are several key components that provide customizable features and options related to routing:
- Designer applications provide both self-service (IVR) and assisted-service (routing) capabilities. If a customer is not able to resolve their issue in self-service, they can be connected with an agent for assistance.
- Predictive Routing uses machine learning to predict which agent-interaction matchups can best improve your specified KPIs, or create applications specifically designed to offer surveys or callbacks to customers.
- Genesys Task Routing can accept workitems submitted from an external source (such as Salesforce or NetSuite) and treats them like any other type of Genesys interaction. For example, you could use a Designer application to route workitems to the best-skilled agent.
- Agent Setup enables you to designate incoming and outgoing mailboxes for Genesys Email classic.
- Intelligent Workload Distribution enables you to designate incoming and outgoing mailboxes for Genesys Multicloud CX Email.