Genesys IVR Personalization (CE09) for Genesys Engage on premises
What's the challenge?When your customers call in to service themselves, they want to get off the phone as soon as possible. Giving customers options that confuse more than help slows the process, causes frustration and leads to more agent interactions.
What's the solution?Deliver a great experience and increase self service adoption by helping customers navigate the IVR quickly. Genesys IVR Personalization tailors messages, menus and treatments based on who the customer is and why they are calling, also taking capacity into account.
Story and Business Context
IVRs have historically been designed to maximize the containment of callers to reduce staffing costs associated with increased call volume, often without a careful assessment of customer experience. This has led to deep and complex IVR menu trees that frustrate customers, create an undesirable customer experience, and result in high opt-out rates. IVR personalization addresses the following:
- Simplifies the menu structure (both depth and within a single menu)
- Presents meaningful options to the caller
- Increases containment and use of the IVR through ease of use and relevance of options
- Increases customer satisfaction through simpler, more relevant navigation and completion of tasks
Use Case Benefits
|Use Case Benefits||Explanation|
|Improved First Contact Resolution||Offering the most appropriate options to each customer increases first contact resolution.|
|Improved Net Promoter Score||Personalized menus and prompts simplify the IVR, make it more effective for customers and make them feel more valued.|
|Reduced Volume of Interactions||Personalizing IVR experience increases self-service rates and reduces agent call volumes.|
This functional use case offers several types of personalization:
- Proactively play status or balance before presenting any options. For example, “Your next order is due to be delivered on Thursday.”
- Proactively offer most likely call reason. For example, “Are you calling about the loan application you have in progress?”
- Personalize menu options. For example, play a mortgage option in the menu only if they have a mortgage, or present a promotion option only if they are eligible.
- Persona-based Personalization is the ability to change the wording of input and messages based on language or customer context such as age.
These types of personalization can lead to an increase in self-service rates. They can also improve customer experience by shortening the time spent on the IVR or bypassing self-service based on the context of the customer’s call. The context to drive this personalization can be retrieved from native or from third-party data sources. Personalized IVR can also update customer context so that this information is available across other channels.
Use Case Definition
The diagram outlines the personalized call flow:
Business Flow Description
- A customer calls a service line of the company.
- Customer progresses through routing strategy. The routing strategy is not in scope of this use case.
- An IVR application answers the call. The full IVR application is not within the scope of this use case, but the functionality in this use case can be used as a module to enhance the IVR application with personalization options.
- If the customer needs to be identified and authenticated (verified), the ID&V interaction uses one or multiple identifiers (such as Customer ID, Account Number, or similar). Customer identification may also be verified by a PIN, if required. This functionality is offered by another use case provided by Genesys, which is leveraged in this scenario Genesys Customer Authentication (CE07) for GenesysEngage-onpremises. The Identification and verfication functionality itself is not within the scope of this use case.
- Using the customer identifier (for example, ANI), Genesys can retrieve customer context information from a third-party system or from Genesys context services (optional).
- The personalized treatment is decided based on submitting context to business rules natively, using third-party systems or using internal data. Personalized treatments include:
- Playing a personalized message to the customer. The caller may hang up at this point if they have all the information they require. For example: The caller is identified to be in a region with a power outage. An announcement can be played to inform the caller of the status.
- Proactively playing status or balance before presenting any options. For example: "Your next order is due to be delivered on Thursday."
- Proactively offering the most likely call reason. For example: "Are you calling about the loan application you have in progress?"
- Personalizing menu options (dynamic menu). For example: "Only play mortgage option in the menu only if they have a mortgage or present an option if they are eligible."
- Sending the customer to:
- An agent with updated context.
- A self-service application (not in scope).
- A generic menu, if the caller does not fit any of the configured personalization options. In this case, the caller continues to the main menu of the IVR application.
- Since this use case is about personalization, the development of this main menu is out of scope.
For more details
For additional details, contact your Genesys Sales Representative by filing out the form or for immediate assistance call us: 1-888-Genesys.