Learn about the types of attributes that allow you to use UTM parameters to track web activity for a specific campaign.
About campaign attributes
This example illustrates how UTM parameters appear in the address bar for a website.
To create an expression in Genesys Predictive Engagement that segments visitors based on these parameters, follow these syntax guidelines:
|If your UTM parameter includes this...||Type this in Altocloud...||Example|
|a hyphen||a hyphen||UTM parameter: Existing-Customers
Attribute value in Altocloud: Existing-Customers
|%20||a space||UTM parameter: Mortgage%20High%20Credit%20Score
Attribute value in Altocloud: Mortgage High Credit Score.
How Genesys Predictive Engagement handles multiple visits to the same campaign
Genesys Predictive Engagement tracks visits to a website in the following ways:
- When a user visits your website, Genesys Predictive Engagement starts a new visit.
- If the user leaves your website, or is inactive on that site for more than 30 minutes, Genesys Predictive Engagement closes the visit.
- If a user arrives at your website from different sources, Genesys Predictive Engagement creates a new visit for each source and immediately closes any previously open visit to the site.
For example, suppose your company posts a campaign ad on Facebook and Twitter. A user sees the ad on Facebook and clicks it to arrive at your website. A few minutes later, the user sees a similar ad on Twitter and clicks the link, causing them to arrive at your website a second time. In this case, Genesys Predictive Engagement ends the user's visit that originated from the Facebook ad and begins a visit for the user's visit that originated from the Twitter ad.
Types of campaign attributes
|Attribute name||UTM parameter name as it appears in a webpage URL or search string||Example||API attribute|
|Campaign name||'utm_campaign'||test campaign
|Campaign click ID||'gclid'||CjwKCAiA1ZDiBRAXEiwAIWyNC2J6QZBJYwXHJPsZkhECGKaZ7nRjmNEQzmn1Hqh8Labvn3FQ-Tn1pRoCEDYQAvD_BwE||mktCampaign.clickId|
|Campaign network||'network'||search network
Enable campaign tracking
To enable UTM tracking for your website:
- Work with your ad network to set up your ad campaigns and identify the UTM parameters you will track. For example, suppose you want to create a new ad campaign called, "SpringSale'.
- For each UTM parameter you want to track, create a corresponding segment in Genesys Predictive Engagement. For example, create a segment called SpringSale. For the visitor attribute, specify "Campaign name like SpringSale".
- When a visitor arrives at a site via a campaign link, Genesys Predictive Engagement automatically assigns the SpringSale segment.